For mostly my own sake, I figured I would go room by room and list what we've accomplished in a year and where we hope to go in the future. And by "future", I'm fully aware we might be several years away from feeling like our home is "finished".
Living room
What we've done:
-Painted the walls Smoked Oyster at 75% by Valspar
-Replaced electrical sockets, electrical and light switch covers, register covers
-Removed scary, old, lightless ceiling fan with a plain light from Lowe's
-Installed 4 recessed lights
-Installed HD antenna on roof (I mostly like to mention this because it gives me an opportunity to act like I'm better than you because I don't have cable)
-Installed a random one foot section of quarter round that was missing
-Installed new blinds over the door (THREE TIMES) thanks to a little dog with big dog complex
What we'd like to do:
-GET A NEW DOOR!!!
-Install 2 more recessed lights in the back portion of the room (reason why my husband hasn't done that is because they're incredibly hard to get to considering they're under the flat portion of our roof)
-Decorate! I feel like when I'm in the room, it's nicely decorated, but then I look at pictures and it looks so barren!
-Maybe one day look at installing different crown molding??
Office
What we've done:
-Repaired lightning damaged dry wall
What we'd like to do:
-Maybe one day get built in desks for my husband's computer and my crafts?
-Paint
Master bedroom
What we've done:
-Painted the walls Montpelier Ashlar Gray by Valspar (I hate the name as much as you do)
-Installed 4 recessed lights
-Replaced white ceiling fan with Capiz Pendant light from West Elm
-Hung white curtains to hide the random octagonal window
-Replaced electrical sockets, electrical and light switch covers, register covers
-Repaired walls and baseboards
What we'd like to do:
-Decorate! The first thing here is creating a collage wall above the green chair in the corner, then I have a giant blank wall to the right as you enter. I need to figure out what to do with it!
-Repair the floor--there's a random 2x3 section of the bedroom floor that is a different wood and stain than the rest of the floor.
Master bathroom
What we've done:
-Installed marble tile (the contractor who resolved the structural issues with our house did this)
-Installed new toilet
-Removed ivy wallpaper
-Painted the walls Talc by Martha Stewart
-Removed medicine cabinet in favor of a regular mirror (from Pottery Barn Kids--we don't have a lot of space to work with)
-Removed wall unit with towel bar in favor of a storage tower and hooks from Ikea
-Replaced toilet paper holder and towel ring
-Replaced lighting
-Replaced electrical sockets, electrical and light switch covers, register covers
What we'd like to do:
-Repaint (sorry mother-in-law!). I loved the idea of a white bathroom, but it turns out we have 5 other competing shades of white in there, so it looks crazy!
-Reglaze the tub and retile the surround
-New faucet for the tub (and maybe the sink)
Master closet
What we've done:
-Removed carpet and repaired 3'x4' weak spot in the floor
-Installed new carpet from Lowe's
-Repaired walls and baseboards
-Replaced electrical sockets, electrical and light switch covers, register covers
-Replaced a broken light fixture with one from Ikea
-Replaced the blinds
-Painted the walls Woodsmoke by Valspar
What we'd like to do:
-Install a built in wardrobe
Guest bedroom (downstairs)
What we've done:
-Nothing except move furniture in and hang stuff on the walls
What we'd like to do:
-I'm considering going really dark in here--maybe dramatic navy walls? I think the bright blues and teals that I already have in there would pop against it. Maybe throw in yellow for good measure.
-Create new door opening into new guest bathroom (to be discussed in kitchen/guest bath section)
Dining room
What we've done:
-Repaired walls
-Painted the walls Ironwood by Valspar (this was the first color choice I've ever made, and I loved it. For about 2 months.)
-Replaced electrical sockets, electrical and light switch covers, register covers
-Deep clean on crystal chandelier
What we'd like to do:
-Repair and repaint (white) french doors
-Repaint the walls the same color as the new kitchen, whenever that happens
Kitchen/Guest bath
What we've done:
-Installed new ventilation fan in bathroom
-Nothing else
What we'd like to do:
-Flip/flop the location of these two! Move the kitchen into the bathroom (making the awkward entrance from the dining room into the guest bath just another entrance into the kitchen). Move the bathroom into the current kitchen dinette. The extra benefit here is that this bathroom would then be directly connected to the guest bedroom. This will hopefully be the biggest project this house ever needs.
Shed/Laundry room
What we've done:
-Divided the shed into two rooms: laundry room with entrance directly from the house and a shed with entrance on the back of the house (husband could tell you all about this reno)
-Painted the walls Sweet Serenity by Valspar
What we'd like to do:
-Install collapsible racks for hanging clothes to dry
-Install shelving for better organization in the shed
Loft area
What we've done:
-Removed obsolete baseboard heaters and repair baseboard
-Removed blank covers hiding random holes
-Filled in gaps between hardwoods and quarter round
What we'd like to do:
-Maybe move a TV up here?
-Paint (probably something fairly neutral)
Guest bedroom/bath (upstairs)
What we've done:
-Removed obsolete baseboard heaters and repair baseboard
What we'd like to do:
-Total bathroom renovation (but the clawfoot tub stays!)
Exterior
What we've done
-Repaired structural issues prior to moving in
-Replaced siding and band sill affected by wood rot
-Reseeded front lawn
-Added stone to the front yard along the base of the house
-Mulched in both front and back yards
What we'd like to do:
-New front porch!
-New back patio!
-Paint!
-New walkway!
-The works!
Hopefully by this time next year, we will have moved a lot of the "we'd like to" into the "we've done" bucket!
1. First of all, seriously, how have you all been in your house for over a year and I've never seen it! We need to remedy this ASAP!
ReplyDelete2. Wow! You all have done so much and things are looking great from what I can tell from pictures (see #1 above).
3. I love the idea of creating a Done list and a To-Do list for each room. I think we need to do the same thing because renovation is majorly stalled at our house. Plus, it would reassure me that we actually have gotten a lot accomplished in 2 years.
Thanks Sarah! You, Tim, and the girls are always welcome to come visit! We could take the girls to the Discovery Place (Daniel and I have been secretly wanting a reason to go).
ReplyDeleteWith two girls, I'm impressed with how far your house has come in just two years. It's definitely a major time commitment!