Sunday, January 20, 2013

addicted to gray

I don't know when or why it started, but I've become obsessed with gray.  I think logically, I should conclude that gray would make a house cold, unwelcoming, and really... jail cell-like.  But somehow, I find that it's the exact opposite.  Ever since we painted our living room this enchanting greige (Valspar Smoked Oyster at 75%, lest you forget), I've been completely addicted.


So it should come as no surprise to you that we've selected the following materials.  The chunk of granite is from the stone we absolutely fell in love with for our countertops.  The granite is fairly complex, so to pair with it, we have chosen the gray subway tile to the right.  The blue stuff is actually for our guest bathroom, but I wanted to put the materials all together so that we could try to keep things as cohesive as possible.  (One of my fears is that our house turns into this calico cat of color palettes, but my other fear is creating a big huge gray yawn of a house.)  The blue hex tile is for our shower floor, and I'm totally surprised at this selection.  As soon as Craig pointed us towards it, we loved the idea of this pop of color just staring up at you from the shower floor.  It's hard to tell from this picture, but the white subway tile for the shower actually has a slight gray marble veining to it.  And the mini blue subway tile will be a feature strip in the shower.  Now comes the next challenge--with all these materials in mind, what do we paint our walls???


I've spent months on pinterest and houzz compiling my favorite kitchens, but I'm finding that most kitchen pics totally ignore the walls.  What's your problem??  Are you ashamed of your walls?  I'm talking about all these guys:


Shuffle Interiors: Lovely creamy white kitchen design with shaker kitchen cabinets painted Benjamin Moore ...
  
White Kitchen

House Beautiful - kitchens - greem tiles, backsplash, brick pattern, farmhouse, sink, ivory, cabinets,  Ivory kitchen cabinets, farmhouse sink,



Modern Island Style Grey kitchen, white cabinets, $100,000 and over, Croma Express, Toronto 

So I'm vowing to you now--when we finally finish this kitchen, I'm taking pictures that include our walls.  I'm going to be showing off whatever color we go with--loud and proud.  And I don't want to spoil it (and honestly, we haven't even come close to making a final choice), but I would put my bets on gray...

No comments:

Post a Comment