Saturday, May 4, 2013

after deets

I was going to title this post, "deets", but then I realized that was the title of the post like four posts ago.  So I really buckled down to think of something more creative... yes "after deets" is about as creative as this lady gets.

Anyway, one thing I really love about our kitchen (I feel like I'm gushing about a new boyfriend to all my girl friends who are sick of hearing about how wonderful I think he is) is that we really spent a lot of time thinking about all the little details that pretty much no one else will ever notice/care about.  I actually really dreaded the details at first--there's just SO much to pick out.

First up, our countertops and cabinet pulls.  I really love the way carrera marble looks in a white kitchen, but I know myself, and I know that I wouldn't get a second of sleep the night it first shows signs of patina.  This granite called Moon Night gives us the color palette of carrera marble but a little more complexity than we originally imagined.  When we first started looking at cabinet pulls, I admitted to loving the cup pulls that were in our old kitchen, but my husband was headstrong about wanting something different.  He actually picked these out, and I'm crazy about them.  What I love about these pulls is that they have the same lines as cup pulls but are much lighter in look and easier to clean.


Next up, our upper cabinet pulls.  I love these because they look just like our door knobs.  BTW, our cabinets were made by a couple of local cabinet makers who are just so, freaking, awesome.


I knew I wanted an apron front sink from the very beginning, and with that, I fell in love with the bridge faucet.  There's just something so classic about the look.  I also love how Craig recommended pairing that look with the more industrial look of the light above the sink.  One other thing that's shown here that I don't know that anyone has noticed yet is the color of our ceiling--it's light blue!  I always see pics of people's homes where they've painted their ceiling a non-white color, and I've always wondered if I was cool enough to pull it off.


After months of trying to convince my husband to make this vanity for me, I found Martha makes a fantastic one sold at Home Depot.


The first time my husband and I stepped into a tile store together, we found out two things about ourselves: we hate shopping for tile, and we hate faux wood tile.  Fast forward to nearly two years later when visiting the same tile store with Craig, and we love everything--including faux wood tile.  Our contractors originally suggested hardwoods in the bathroom, but I know myself.  I would endlessly stress about whether or not the hardwoods were getting too wet and not dried soon enough.  I would literally lose sleep about it.  So when I laid eyes on this espresso wood tile, my mind was changed forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment