Saturday, January 14, 2012

the ultimate guilty pleasure

This year was the first time that husband and I got a real Christmas tree since 2007.  Sad, but in the mayhem of moving three times and traveling to Asia last Christmas, it never made sense for us to get a real Christmas tree.  As we were unpacking our ornaments, I realized we only had about 4 ornaments that meant anything to us--the rest were all glass orbs.  As much as I love a coordinated, well-designed Christmas tree, to me, part of the excitement of Christmas is unwrapping a smorgasbord of unique ornaments filled with memories of holidays past.  I love the random colorfulness of a tree filled with meaningful yet mismatched ornaments.  Then I noticed we had one major part of our life missing from our tree--Tuesday.  We adopted Tuesday in 2008, so this was her first real Christmas tree.  To not commemorate this moment with some borderline tacky trinket would be a real tragedy.  So I decided I wanted a Tuesday ornament.  Husband suggested that we get an ornament picture frame.  Nice, but not personal enough.  I browsed etsy and realized that I could get a hand crafted ornament in her likeness... for $50.  Too expensive, no way.  Then I thought, "What if I... made my own... Tuesday ornament?"  Husband laughed because he knows how artistic I am not.  But it was worth a shot--mold and bake clay is $5 at Walmart, and a multipack of acrylic paint was $2.  So I started sculpting... and every minute that passed, I was fully aware of how totally creepy and sad this situation was.  Then... this was born...


No comments:

Post a Comment